Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Villa Medici at Castello

Was so excited when I woke up because it's Adar!!! Had a rushed but meaningful Rosh Chodesh davening before heading to catch the bus to our villa trip. We visited another Medici villa (Villa Medici at Castello). This villa was the origin of the first dictionary in the world. It is home to the academia and they still have copies of the different editions of the dictionary. The woman who works that the villa took out the original 2nd edition of the dictionary and we were able to touch it and turn the pages. Someone on our tour told us that the reason it wasn't disintegrating (it was printed in 1623) was because they used to use better quality paper back then. Now our paper contains acid (which is cheaper) and as a result paper disintegrates faster. We then walked around the gardens and saw the huge lemon house. I still get so excited each time we see a villa and visit the lemon house. I really hope that I'm able to see when they bring the lemon trees out of the lemon house at La Pietra. I feel like it is such an exciting time schleping all those trees out of the lemon house.
I then took the bus back to La Pietra and had lunch with Zandi, Ellie and Emily. I then had Italian and then walked back to my apt. I spent a while uploading pictures from the villa visits and working on my villas paper. Super excited for it but its a little overwhelming figuring out what to do. I then walked with Shayna and Jenn for the super awesome chabad meal. Valerie (we met her a few shabboses ago at Chabad lunch) was also there so it was nice seeing her. I then went to Standa with Alana and on the way I saw a guy with a top hat and a stick. It was amazing. I then tried chasing him down the block to take a picture of him but it was too dark and he was walking really really fast so I didn't get a good picture of him :(. But standa was of course super fun!! It's always nice getting food.
until next time!
-arrivederci

1 comment:

  1. That is exactly right about the books. Modern books are said to have a life of only about 60 years, while books printed before the turn of the last century, and books from the finest publishers of Europe over the last four centuries, can survive intact and in use for many hundreds of years. It is an amazing metaphor--the decline of the printed page came long before the screen, we just didn't realize it. Our libraries now will never see the next millennium, so scholars of the future will have no idea what we know. It is as depressing a thought at any one could ever have. :(

    But your adventures sound awesome! And that is what really matter. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete