Friday, February 6, 2009

Off to Paris

Today is the day I leave for Paris - so excited!!! I went to class as usual and while I was in class it was pouring but thankfully the rain stopped before I headed back to my apartment. I then did some last minute packing and got ready to run out the door. As I was about to leave Emily told me that we got an email saying that there was an urgent housing emergence:
"...We hope that you’re having a good semester with us thus far. Unfortunately, we have some urgent news about your living situation. We were notified last Friday that the managing agent of your residence is involved in a serious legal dispute with the owner of the building. Through our attorneys, we immediately attempted to intervene with the owner to establish a contract directly with him for the remainder of the semester. We were led to believe that the owner would agree to work with us, but to our surprise and dismay, he has not responded. Because of the uncertainty of the situation, which is entirely out of our control, we think it advisable to move you to another residence. We have arranged for other housing for you and will do everything we can to ensure that this unforeseen move will present as little inconvenience to you as possible. We intend to complete this move on Sunday, February 8, 2009...."
But I didn't really have any time to think about it because I had to meet David Zandi and Ellie Rubin at the train. Once I got there I couldn't find my wallet and thought I left it at the apartment in the hug rush and got really scared but luckily I found it in the bottom of my bag. We then bought tickets for the train and boarded the train. On the train I called OSL to understand what was happening. They explained the situation and why we were switching and answered my questions on they layout of the new place. They said that the rooms were changing. So afterward I called a few people to figure out housing because I wasn't going to be able to make it to the meeting that night because I was going to be on a plane to Paris. It was extremely stressful and everyone was really upset and confused. We finally arrived at the airport and had a while to kill so Zandi and Ellie got some food and walked around for a bit. We then boarded the airplane and we pushed our way to the front because the seating was on a first come basis. I managed to grab us an exit row - none of the seats reclined on the plane but atleast we got large seats. We thought that it would be chaos because of the no assigned seating but we actually boarded the plane in like 10 minutes and everything went really fast. Ellie suggested that this was probably because people who fly ryanair want to save money and just want to get to the destination. Ellie passed out and Zandi and I talked for a while. Once at the airport in France (it was outside of Paris in a weird airport) we rushed off the airplane and there was chaos to get on the buses that drive us to Paris. The first one filled up really quickly and I was really scared we'd have to wait a while for the next bus, but we only had to wait like 10 minutes. Finally, finally after like 8 hours in transit, we arrived in Paris. I remembered how to work the metro because of my summer with Miriam and I got us all tickets and got us on the right metro in the correct direction. Ellie and Zandi were heading to meet friends and we said goodbye after a few stops. I eventually arrived at Miriam's apartment but my phone wasn't working so I couldn't reach her to get her to let me in to her apartment. There were two people sitting and smoking across from her apartment so I asked them if I could borrow their phone and call my sister. They were actually realy nice and let me use their phone to call Miriam. Miriam came down and let me in and then made me a declicious pasta dinner. Miriam and I hung out for a bit but she had a French final the next day so she had to study. I then video chatted with Joshy and Val and they cheered me up a bit about the whole housing situation...
until next time!
-arrivederci

No comments:

Post a Comment