Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ruth's

So far this week we have been very lucky with our weather and have been having sunny days. After marketing I went to the library to do my reading because I still haven't bought the books for the Art Market yet... I got most of it done and then rushed to Italian. I was supposed to meet up with Michelle and Michael to go with them to the vintage fair but while I was waiting for them I ran into Katie and we decided to walk back together. We walked to the center of Florence and then split up (she went to her apt and I headed to the train station). I was going to buy tickets for me, Alana and Abe but the automatic ticket machine wouldnt let me buy more than one ticket at a time and I didn't want to keep charging it to my credit card because it costs $3 every time I use it :'( so instead I decided to just wait until I spoke with them to confirm what time we wanted to leave. I then went to the Tourists Office to see if anything interesting was going on in Florence but the woman was extremely rude and not helpful at all. Throughout the entire time I was talking with Michelle on the phone but in the end I decided not to meet them at the Vintage fair and just head back to the apartment. Once again I was disappointed because noone wanted to go tovel dishes with me in the Arno :'(.
Because it's Wednesday that means RUTH'S!!! We all had to study for an Italian quiz and decided to bring our notes to Ruth's because dinner always takes so long anyways. We got there at 7:15 because we got emails all day from Hannah Urkowitz telling us about the 7-10:30 Ruth's student special. But of course they weren't opening until 7:30 so we just sort of hung out for 15 minutes. A little while into our meal a girl walks in and starts talking to us like we know her. It turns out she was Hannah. Crazy! So we spoke to her for a bit and she shared her lifes story with us and gave us some tips on Florence. Then we asked Simcha about the Rabbi's wife and it turns out she was sitting at the table over! So he introduced her to us and I asked her if she would be willing to meet with us and show us how to buy kosher food in the supermarket. Then I asked Simcha about toveling and he's like I'm going tomorrow. I can tovel your dishes if you want! So I went back to the apartment to get our dishes to give to Simcha. I then went to Borgo Pinti to see if they have any of my books. I found one of my books for the Art Market (so its a good thing I waited to buy it) and I found the course packet for Florentine Villas. It's so nice that students leave their books for future students to use.
Once I got back to the apartment I found out that one of the girls in our apartment actually went to the Arno to tovel the dishes she bought with another girl. Honestly, I'm not so surprised because they never really seemed to care about anyone else in the apartment or try to include us at all but I was still really disappointed that she didn't ask me to join her or offer to come with me anytime I asked people if they wanted to come with me to tovel dishes. I had even offered to tovel the dishes for them if they wanted. But whatever, if they want to stick to themselves then there is nothing we can do about it.
until next time!
-arrivederci

No comments:

Post a Comment