Monday, January 19, 2009

First day of classes

After once again having a fitful night of sleep due to the freezing cold and the extremely loud pipes in my bedroom wall, i woke up at around 7:30 in order to shower and pack my bag so i could leave at around 8 to get to La Pietra in time. Nicole and I ended up leaving a little late so we missed Abe and Danny. Although we did end up catching up to them on the last 10 or so minutes of the walk. We were all pleasantly surprised to find out that it took us only 30 minutes to walk to campus. Totally doable, even if we were out of breath and a little overheated after walking up the monster of a hill. But we got there with plenty of time to spare to walk the valley of death and catch our breath and then find our classrooms. I am still unsure of my schedule so I am going to hopefully audit a few classes this week and then decide on which classes to take. However, because classes only meet once a week most of them are 2 hr 45 min long, which is an extremely long time if you're auditing a class. But I'm trying to look at everything in a positive light and if I do decide to take the class it will be worth having gone to the class. Also, this way I got to spend almost 3 whole hours with Abe :). Danny is also in the Media & Society class with Abe (and possibly me if i decide to switch in) and he is also in my Italian class, so it'll be nice knowing someone in my classes. Class ended at 11:45 and I had until 1 to eat lunch and hang out so I went online, checked my email and checked the news. I then realized I was in the wrong building but luckily got to class on time. As it turns out not only is Danny in my class but so is Leora Petashnick and Leora Novick. Also the teacher was so much fun! I'm really excited to start learning Italian. Afterwards I just sort of hung out on campus for a while and stopped by the Office of Student Activities to ask if we can have more blankets because our apt is freezing. I eventually walked back with Leora P. and Alana. After dropping off our bags at the apt we left on an adventure for the supermarket. We spent around 1 1/2 hrs in the supermarket with our super duper kosher list looking through every item in the store trying to pick out the kosher ones. Thankfully we were able to find kosher cookies and stocked up on basic necessities like olive oil and pasta and left the store well stocked. We then came back to the apartment to find out that Nicola, one of the staff at NYU Florence, had stopped by the apt with brand new blankets from Ikea (in Florence), fixed our internet, fixed our stove and bought us a fire lighter thing to light the stove and fixed the washing machine. The day just kept getting better. Then Alana, Ilana, Leora and I made dinner. We all used the stove to make pasta (and it only took like 15 minutes this time!) except Alana made a cool pizza in the oven. Later Leora skyped with Michal and Rachel and Alana and I joined in and saw them in our old room :'(. It was so sad. But we're in Florence in an awesome apartment having an amazing time so all is good. Anyways, gotta go finish my homework.
until next time!
-Arrivederci

No comments:

Post a Comment